Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Contemporary Museum in Honolulu

I like to expose Crumpet to new cultural experiences every once in a while, so we decided to check out the Contemporary Art Museum in Honolulu. Contemporary art is not usually my thing, but this museum had a few things going for it when I was choosing a location for our field trip. First, I'll be honest, was the awesome review of the flourless chocolate cake in their cafe! Second, they have beautiful gardens, and third, the museum is free to the military. So off we went to explore, and I am so glad we did.
Photography was not allowed in the galleries, which is unfortunate. Some of the art was just weird, but some was really neat, and I found one exhibit truly beautiful. Crumpet enjoyed a lot of the art because it was so odd, and it certainly gave us something to talk about!
The gardens were lovely, and there were many pieces of art incorporated into the landscape. The black and white painting below, and the reflecting pool in front of it, were my favorite.

There were nice stone trails through the gardens, and we saw a few pretty birds.


Some of the art was useful:
Some of the plants were weirder than the art - I LOVE Hawaii plants...

This is an old tennis court that has been painted...
Bird and cat resting:
The chocolate cake was absolutely worth the drive, even if we hadn't enjoyed the museum so much! There were multiple layers, filled with delicious cream. Crumpet inhaled most of it within seconds. The boy likes his chocolate! We also shared a lemonade, which was quite good. This is one of those places where a slice of cake and a glass of lemonade cost $10, but every once in a while, it's fun to splurge. And this cake was so worth it...
I hope to go to the Contemporary Museum again when they change exhibits. For more field trip posts, visit Live the Adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I love art galleries. I'd live in one if I could. Well, maybe not but I certainly do appreciate great art. I do understand what you mean though. Sometimes some strange pieces are created in the name of art that are, to me hard pressed to call art. LOL I tend to shy away from the Contemporary Exhibits, though I do love to see the scuptures that they often showcase. Well, you saw some things you enjoyed, got in free- that couldn't be beat- and tried that delicious looking huge hunk of a cake. Yum. Yum. Thanks for linking up. Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to art museums, too. I like what Tonya said about wanting to live in one. I agree! Looks like you had a fun day. I really like the black and white painting, too. Sorry this is a very late comment...I was just on Tonya's site and noticed there were links on the FTF post.

    ReplyDelete